Your Generous Support covers operational costs and enables us to expand our music therapy program to serve even more veterans in need. Your support will also help fund important studies with Vanderbilt University Dept of Cognitive Neuroscience measuring the positive effects of music therapy on the brain.
2022 Fundraising Goal: $275,000
Duration: April 5, 2022 – June 30, 2022
To make a smaller donation, please visit our regular donation page. Any amount will help our veterans through music!
Mental Wellness Through the Power of Music
Our mission is to save lives by decreasing the trend of suicide in the veteran community. We provide retreats at no cost to veterans.
We teach coping mechanisms that can be accessed when PTSD symptoms arise; in a safe and engaging environment that includes the fellowship of other veterans, licensed therapists, and professional songwriters. We work in areas with strong veteran demographics to provide easily accessible retreats. We implement:
- Evidence-based techniques
- Ongoing education and training to music therapists
- Expanding research in music therapy
Stories and Songs From the Farm—our gift to those donating $100+
Stories and Songs From the Farm is a collection of 12 songs written during our MTR retreats. We hope you enjoy the powerful music and the stories behind the songs. By listening, you give these veterans’ stories life.
A 2019 attendee self-survey reported a 55% reduction in veterans’ experiences of upsetting memories six or more times/week, an 83% reduction in experiencing physical reactions four or more times/week, and a 58% reduction in symptomatic situations interfering in everyday life. Brain imaging studies showed improved blood flow to targeted areas and cognitive assessments showed improvement in memory and attention.
- A Captain in the Army still feels a brave female in his company deserved honors for her exceptional valor.
- A military trumpeter playing Taps hundreds of times as the caskets came off the Flightline loses his joy for music after playing taps while a lost soldier’s young son grieves.
- A soldier is traveling home from Kuwait, his family waiting, but the plane turns around mid-flight to return to Kuwait for a 6-month extended deployment.
- A young woman embarks on a career as an Army 77 Foxtrot and hopes it may salvage the relationship with her Vietnam Veteran Father.
Music Therapy of the Rockies (MTR) has served over 100 veterans at retreats in TN, IA, GA, MD, and MA.
These are some of the experiences explored and written in song during MTR retreats, as veterans take ownership of the stories that haunt them in the silence of their memories.
*Once songs are completed, we assist veterans with song copyright, registration, and publishing. MTR is the only veteran music program that ensures the veteran writers maintain their rightful share of song ownership, and facilitates proper song catalog management.